Ambitious? Digital Media Masters Student looking to create an AR experience for thesis: Can anyone give me a run down of what is involved

Hi There,

I’m currently looking to develop an Ar experience for my thesis project in Digital Media. I have just under three months to develop a working prototype.

I have basic programming knowledge, as in I have just about covered the fundamentals of JavaScript…

What would such a task involve?

Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A

Hi Anthony,

Not sure how to answer that; it really depends on what you plan on doing. If you are considering using Argon4 and/or argon.js, I would check out the samples we created with AFrame (I’d look at the “development” version, as it will be moved to the release very soon: https://aframe-develop.argonjs.io) and see if they “cover the bases” you need. If you aren’t already familiar with Aframe, you should check it out at aframe.io

Creating an argon.js website is pretty similar to creating any website, in terms of how you’d develop, build and deploy.

@blair
Great thank you for that info Blair!
I’m looking to achieve something similar to a project that incorporated Argon code called " Finding Alberta" Link: http://mw17.mwconf.org/paper/augmented-and-mixed-reality-design-for-contested-and-challenging-histories-postcolonial-approaches-to-site-specific-storytelling/

I wish to create a geo-location based AR experience for my small town in Ireland. The project idea is to have historic/ archival video footage play over real time footage to illustrate the changes my city has experience over the years.

I spoke to one of the researchers who worked on the Finding Alberta Project and she pointed me to Argon for help.

Some questions you may be able to answer: Do I need to code and develop an application to fun the AR experience? or is a web based program where the user experiences the AR through a browser?

I wouldn’t be familiar with a-frame, let me check out the link you sent.

That helps, thanks.

You do not develop apps to deliver the experience: you develop websites. The samples I pointed you at (aframe-develop.argonjs.io) are created using the argon.js (and aframe.js) framework, and live on our website. If you visit them from a “normal” web browser, they will do “the best they can” do deliver your content: argon.js allows you to discover the AR capabilities of the current browser, and pick a “representation of reality” that works in it (e.g., if you can’t do live video or geolocation, you might choose to show panoramic images or perhaps use streetview as the backdrop). Your content (geolocated content in your case) would display on top of that “reality” as if the viewer was there.

If the user is using the Argon4 web browser (new iOS version soon, and an Android version!), you can use video + geolocation, but also “image tracking” via PTC’s Vuforia AR tracking library that is built into the browser.

But, for all of it, you just host and serve as any other site!

I suggest AFrame because since we’ve integrated it with argon (in our argon-aframe library) you can create simple media very easily.

@blair

Thank you for making this process so much clearer. This is exactly what I needed to hear, once I have a greater understanding of Aframe.js I will be back with possibly more questions. I can set up servers, build and host websites so hopefully the Aframe will look some what familiar.

You have been very helpful,

Thank you,

Great, will look forward to hearing how things go!

Hi Blair,

I have gained a good understanding of A-Frame but have reached a point where I can not progress.

I was looking to create a map that would be viewed through the Argon browser, the map when viewed through Ar-mode would have six Points of Interest, each interest would be a layer marker floating on the screen.

Would you know of any resources or tutorials that show how this can be done? Is it possible to use a custom made Google Map/ KML file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have been searching for days and have not made any developments which is worrying.

Thanks,
Anthony

So, just to make sure I understand. You want to have a web application that shows a map, and when using it in Argon4, you want to have an AR mode that a marker on the screen.

When you say “layer marker”, I assume you mean some sort of content floating in space at that point?

Have you looked at the argon-aframe samples? The geolocation sample puts markers at points in space in the world: they could be near or far.

As for using KML, that should be straightforward. KML is XML, so if you download the KML into your app, you can convert it to a Javascript object (perhaps using DOMParser or some external package like geoxml3 (https://github.com/geocodezip/geoxml3). Then, iterate through that object, looking for Placemarks, which should have a geolocation (longitude, latitude, perhaps altitude as well if you supplied it). You can use that geolocation to create Cesium.Entity objects that you can use with argon.js (as the geolocation demo shows).

Hi blair,

Thanks for getting back to me,

I haven’t created my own application as I do not acquire the skill set to do so, I was hoping to create something similar to the Wikitude World to put it in context. I have six points of interest as part of my tour, I was hoping that the user could download the browser application, find what I have created and walk to each point of interest.

You are correct with the term layer, it’s a marker illustrating the POI.
I have looked at the A-Frame example, copied the code and hosted it on a server but it would not work.

Is it possible to create this map/tour without creating an application?
I would have hoped that my Javascript skills would have improved by now, but unfortunately this hasn’t happened.

Right now, we don’t really have any tools in place for creating AR experiences without creating a web page, alas. AFrame is about as simple as it gets!